Bereavement Information


A Death Certificate may be obtained from the Local Registrar to find out who this is, you need to speak to the deceased persons General Practitioner, Nursing Home Doctor , Hospital Mortuary Technician or the Coroner involved. Social Welfare purposes ( you must state the purpose or which this is required). If a post mortem has taken place it could take anything from 3 months onwards for the Coroners inquest report to be established, you should contact the Coroner involved in relation to this. If you need an Interim Death Certificate in the mean time, the Coroners office will issue this at a cost of 10.00 per copy.


There is a Bereavement Grant available, application form and explanatory booklet may be given to you at the time of the Funeral Arrangements or may be obtained form the community care. You will need a copy of the Death Certificate / Interim Death Certificate and Funeral Invoice for this grant (this is not a means tested grant). A form is usually forwarded to you by social welfare when pension book etc. is returned.


The Death Benefit is a Social Welfare Grant this is to help towards the cost of the funeral expenses. The person that is paying for this should apply to the Social Welfare Officer at their local Health Centre, they should bring along a copy of the Death Certificate / Interim Death Certificate and a copy of the Funeral Invoice for this grant.


Pension Books should be returned to the local Post Office. If there is either a husband or wife left behind and they are not divorced or legally separated they would be entitled to the deceased persons pension in full for a further 6 weeks. However, the pension book should be returned to the occurred and the 6 week pension will be sent to them in full within 2-3 weeks.


The application forms and explanatory booklets may be given to a family member at the time of the funeral arrangements or may be obtained from our offices.


If a family member / friend is on Carer’s Allowance when the death of the person they are claiming for the occurs claiming Carer’s Allowance is entitled to the allowance for a further 6 weeks. However, they must notify the Social Welfare Officer in question and he will post them the 6 weeks allowance in full within 2-3 weeks of notification.


A Widow Parent Grant is a once off payment, this grant is for a child up to the age of 13 years of a child between the age of 18 and 22 years in full time education. To find out more on how to qualify contact the Department Pension Services Office, Widowed Parent Grant Scheme (explanatory leaflets also available at our offices).


Administered by the Health Boards on behalf of the Department of Social and Family Affairs, may be available to give financial assistance if you do not have adequate means to pay for the funeral.


If an estate is to go to Probate it is recommended that is a family member / executor or solicitor should do this. If you wish to contact the Probate Office they will assist you in every possible way they can send out all the relevant application forms and explanatory leaflets.